If you're organising an event on an unlicensed premises and you want to carry out licensable activities then you'll probably need a temporary event notice (TEN).

Licensable activities are:

  • the sale by retail of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol to club members and their guests
  • the provision of regulated entertainment (plays, films, indoor sporting events, boxing or wrestling, a dance performance, live or recorded music)
  • the provision of late night refreshment

You'll also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence.  For example, if you want to sell alcohol at premises only licensed for regulated entertainment or if you want to open late for a special occasion.

A TEN is not an application but a notice about a planned event. Your notice will need to be served on us, the police and the environmental health service. 

The police and environmental health service can object to a TEN if they feel the event will undermine any of the four licensing objectives.  Environmental health do have guidance and advice for applicants for TENs.

What you can do without a TEN

There are certain types of entertainment that you don't need a licence for and do please contact us if you want further information about this.

How to apply

If you want to carry out any of the licensable activities on a temporary basis then you can serve a temporary event notice.

Please read our frequently asked questions about temporary event notices before you fill in the form as this will help you avoid common mistakes that may result in your notice being rejected.

You need to meet the restrictions and time scales below.


You must be at least 18 to apply.

You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

 Your event must:

  • be for 499 people or less.  This is including staff running the event and performers
  • last no more than 168 hours, or seven days

You'll need to have at least 24 hours between your event and the start or finish of another TEN.  


Standard TENs

The law states that you must serve your notice on us at least 10 clear working days before the event (not including the event day and the day the notice is served).

Late TENs

In exceptional circumstances the law allows us to accept a TEN submitted between five and nine working days before the event (not including the event day and the day the notice is submitted).

Late TENs should only be used in exceptional circumstances as you run the very real risk that the event may not be able to take place if we receive an objection to the notice. If that happens then we have no alternative but to serve a counter notice on the notice giver. If that happens the event can't go ahead as the law doesn't allow for an appeal with a late TEN.

Number of notices you can apply for

You'll need a separate TEN for each event you hold even if it's on the same premises.

You can serve up to five TENs a year (of which two may be late notices).

If you have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can serve up to 50 TENs a year (of which 10 may be late notices).

A single premises can have up to 15 notices applied for in one year, as long as:

  • the total length of the events is not more than 21 days (events that carry on after midnight will count as two days)
  • the person serving the notice doesn't exceed the amount of TENs they can serve in a year

Displaying your licence

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Length of licence

A TEN will only authorise you to provide licensable activities during the times you have given on the form.


You can find out more in our guide to temporary event notices.

Further guidance about temporary event notices, the effect of the Act and the licensable activities is in our GN1 guide to the Licensing Act 2003.



If you have an issue with a licensed premises there are different people you should contact depending on the problem.  

Public register

You can view details of temporary event notices we have been given on our web pages and on our licensing public register.

Trade associations

National Outdoor Events Association

Society of Event Organisers

Event Supplier and Services Association