3. Backdating your claim start date
Council Tax Support normally starts from the Monday following the date that you first contacted us. Sometimes we may be able to pay your claim from an earlier date (backdating) of up to a month if you can show that you have a good reason why you did not claim sooner.
If you or your partner are above the age to claim state pension credit, we will automatically backdate your claim for a maximum of three months. You don't need to ask - we'll do this automatically.
How to apply
If you would like us to consider backdating your claim, we look at each case individually and can only make a decision based on the information you give us.
Email email@example.com or
East Devon District Council
Heathpark Industrial Estate
- The date you want your claim to start from
- Your reasons why you didn't or couldn't claim earlier. You may not have claimed earlier because:
- you were ill in hospital and had no one to help you
- you were unable to manage your affairs
- you were wrongly advised you couldn't claim
- you had difficulties because English is not your first language
If we decide you have shown a good cause we will backdate your claim as far as we can. If you and any partner are below the age to claim state pension credit, we can backdate your claim for a maximum of one month.